For various reasons, networked computers, at school, or in a company, do not necessarily have access to all websites. It is possible to bypass these blockages or filters in various ways (proxy server, VPN), some simpler than others. The same goes for navigation from a smartphone. Today, we will discuss some ways to bypass firewall software.
Method 1: Bypass a site with a Virtual Private Network
- Select a virtual private network (VPN).
Like proxy servers, you will have no trouble accessing a virtual private network (VPN) as there are so many of them. We can’t recommend one in particular, but choose one that suits your needs (and your budget). NordVPN and Trust.zone are very good but paid.
- If at school or office, you try to bypass a firewall or an Internet filter through a VPN, there is a high probability that it will fail since you have to change the computer settings.
- Unlike proxy servers, a VPN guarantees more security and utterly anonymous browsing.
- Most VPNs are free in the demo version. For more recurrent use, you will have to pay a generally small amount.
- Sign UP for a VPN
Most often, you’ll need to create a user account. You will then receive a server address, username, password, and various other information.
Are your Virtual Private Network uses a different network protocol than the one installed by default? If it is, the VPN service will provide you with all the necessary configuration parameters.
Open the settings page for your computer or phone
This operation depends on the computer or mobile device and the operating system of these devices.
- In Windows: start by opening the Start menu, click on Settings, then on Network and Internet. Left-click on Virtual Private Network, then click Add VPN Connection at the top of the page.
- In Mac OS X: Open the Apple menu, then click System Preferences. Then click on Network, later on, the ＋ sign at the bottom of the left frame. In the new window, pull down the Interface list and choose the bottom VPN.
- Complete the VPN information
Depending on the VPN chosen or the configuration you want, you will have to fill in more or fewer fields.
If you have any doubts when filling in a field, consult the VPN help pages.
Save the VPN configuration. Once all of the fields have been completed, or almost, proceed as follows:
- Windows: at the bottom of the page, click Save,
- On Mac: click Create, fill in the information provided by the VPN manager, then click Apply,
- On an iPhone: tap ‘Done’ in the upper right corner of the screen,
- On an Android device: tap ‘SAVE’.
- Connect to the VPN.
Once again, operations vary depending on your platform:
Windows: on the VPN page, select the VPN name, click Connect and then enter certain information,
On Mac: select the VPN, click Connect and then enter certain information,
With an iPhone: touch the white switch to the right of the VPN name, then fill in the requested information,
With an Android device: on the VPN page, select the VPN name, tap CONNECT, then enter some information.
- Browse the Internet without restrictions.
Once connected to the VPN, it is as if you were on an uncapped computer: you can see all the sites you want.
Method 2: Bypassing a site with UltraSurf
- Understand how UltraSurf works.
It is a program that does not require any particular installation. That makes it very interesting to unlock a computer with deliberately restricted functionality. When UltraSurf opens, it immediately connects to a proxy server via your Internet browser. The latter being opened anonymously. Based on this principle, you can browse absolutely any site.
Sorry for Mac owners, but UltraSurf is only available on Windows.
- Go to the UltraSurf website.
Click on this link, and you will arrive directly on the download page.
If you are unable to download this program from the flanged computer, download it from your home and install it on a USB key. You will then start it from this external medium on the filtered computer.
- Click Download Now.
It’s a big blue button in the upper left corner of the page. UltraSurf is then brought back to your computer’s hard drive.
- UltraSurf is shipped as a ZIP archive.
Unzip the UltraSurf folder. Proceed as follows:
- Double click on the freshly repatriated ZIP file,
- Click on the Extract tab,
- Click on Extract all,
- Click Extract.
- Run UltraSurf
In the unzipped folder, double click on the icon marked u1704, UltraSurf is running.
If you downloaded UltraSurf to a USB key, first plug it into one of the USB ports on the restricted computer, then run the program.
- Wait for your default Internet browser to open.
UltraSurf then searches for a proxy server which is not blocked by the network filter. The procedure takes a few tens of seconds at worst.
- Surf the Internet without restrictions.
You’re somewhat anonymous for this navigation, you have access to all websites.
Method 3: Bypassing a site with an online proxy server
- Run your usual Internet browser.
Click or double click the icon of your Internet browser.
Go to an authorized service site.
There are many, but some are better than others.
- ProxFree: https://www.proxfree.com/.
- HideMe: https://hide.me/fr/.
- CroxyProxy: https://www.croxyproxy.com/.
If these well-known proxies are blocked, in a search engine, type a free proxy server type request. After that, discard the aforementioned servers and try one that will not be blocked.
- Locate the search bar.
It is very visible at the top or in the middle of the page. Click in the field to activate it.
- Type an Internet address.
Enter the Internet address of a blocked site you want to access (for example, “www.facebook.com”).
If you don’t have the full address of the site, for example, go to Google, type the keyword of your site, then retrieve the address that you will paste in the search bar of the server.
- Press the enter key.
From there, it is this mandatory site that will allow you to access the blocked site.
Proxy servers are complex, so download times are longer.
- Surf the Internet without restrictions.
As long as you remain on the proxy server tab, you will access all blocked sites. On the other hand, if, from a blocked site, you open a link in a new tab, you leave the proxy server, the consequence is immediate: you will not have access to this link.
To know more, click here.